Face-to-face classes for the English Language Program will resume on August 4. Please refer to this page for information on resuming face-to-face classes.

What has been happening in the province of Alberta?

A lot has happened in the Alberta over the past few months. Please see below for a timeline of some important events.



For more information about what is happening in Alberta please see:




ELP classes will be a little different during COVID-19. Our class sizes will stay about the same (average class size is 16) but we will run our classes in larger rooms to allow for 2m of physical distancing. Other safety measure include:

  • Assigned classrooms and seating to minimize exposure to surfaces
  • Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance and exit to all classrooms
  • Masks are not requred in class unless the 2m physical distancing cannot be met.
  • Increased classroom cleaning:  desks and doorknobs will be sanitized at the end of each class
  • Where possible, work will be submitted electronically
  • UCalgary Quarantine Plan monitors students everyday during the required quarantine period and provide necessary supports.  
  • Placement testing will be online or in small-group sections
  • Maximum of 6 people in the ELP office foyer. Signs on the floors and walls, and plastic screens at the counters will help to maintain physical distancing in the ELP office. Online appointment booking or appointments will also be available.
  • Online instruction and classes will be available for the required quarantine period so that you can make the best use of your time in Calgary.
  • Students and staff will be required to wear masks in public hallways and entranceways.
  • Campus restaurants reopened on August 29.
  • Water fountains will be shut-off but water is available in washrooms. Students should your own beverages/water bottle.
  • Washrooms will limit occupants and will be sanitized more frequently.
  • Activity program will run in small groups to destinations in Calgary and around the province.
  • A maximum of 30% of UCalgary students will be on campus at any time. 
  • Emergency Health Insurance is provided for all English Language Program students by GuardMe, which includes coverage for COVID-19 diagnosed cases in Canada.
  • Open Study Spaces initiative provides safe places to study and meet on campus.


Yes, all international students admitted to our programs, regardless of the length of study, should apply online for a study permit as soon as possible. While the Government of Canada does not require a study permit in order to study in Canada for 6 months or less, COVID-19 travel restrictions currently prevent international students from entering the country without a study permit and a program of study that requires them to attend classes in person (i.e. not online). Students with approved study permits studying at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI), like the University of Calgary, may enter Canada after October 20, 2020. 

When you arrive in Calgary, you will be required to self-isolate.

Please visit Government of Canada website for the most up-to-date information.

Yes, Homestay is available! Your Homestay family is available to pick you up from the airport and will accommodate you during the required quarantine period. During this time you will be required to eat your meals 2m apart from your family. 

Practicing good hygiene, maintaining social distance, and isolating when ill will keep you safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19.

  • Wash hands frequently and thoroughly or use hand sanitizer 
  • Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands
  • Avoid crowded places
  • Maintain physical distancing (stay apart) 2m
  • Wear a mask in public when distancing is not possible
  • Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your elbow
  • Self-isolate if you feel sick
  • Download the ABTraceTogether mobile app

If you are ill, you should stay home and complete the AHS online screening tool (

If COVID-19 testing is required you can book an appointment for free COVID-19 test online. While you are waiting for test results you should stay at home, practicing good hygiene, and maintain physical distancing. If your results come back negative you can return to school when you are feeling better, if your results come back positive, you must stay in isolation for 14 days. If your symptoms are serious you should go to a hospital. Your GuardMe Emergency Health insurance will cover COVID-19 treatment.

Online instruction and extended assignment dates will be available to minimize impact on your learning.

More Information

For more information about the UCalgary COVID-19 response please see
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach us at We will be happy to answer your questions.