Build your oral communication skills in our five-week intensive program. This integrated, challenging, skills-based program uses communicative tasks, group and pair-work activities, and structured learning to develop fluency and functional language skills. The program will include general English communication classes in the morning combined with Literature Circle discussion groups, Pronunciation workshops, and Vocabulary & Idioms classes in the afternoon. This summer take English out of the textbook and into real life…study English in Canada’s 4th largest city and gateway to the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Levels: high beginner to upper advanced. Participation is expected for the entire course and required by your bursary (check dates when your school begins before registering).
NOTE: This course is limited to Canadian full-time students who have been awarded the Council of Ministers of Education Canada (CMEC) EXPLORE bursary. In addition to an approved bursary, all EXPLORE students must pay a $275 non-refundable application fee and a $150 deposit to register in this course. Students who attend a minimum of four weeks will have their deposit refunded. The application fee is non-refundable. For more information about the EXPLORE Bursary, please visit www.myexplore.ca
International students or Canadian students who have not been awarded a bursary should register in a Summer Intensive Course.
2021 Bursary includes:
- English instruction and sociocultural activities.
- Orientation session including a campus tour and a temporary U of C identification card.
- Intensive placement test on the first day of classes.
- Textbooks and hand-outs.
- Use of the University of Calgary library.
- Formal graduation banquet.
- Certificate of completion and assessment package for your university.
- Homestay accommodation for bursary student
- Transportation to, and from Homestay, and the Calgary airport
2021 Bursary does not include:
- Transportation to, or from, Calgary.
- Transportation to the university, or in and around the city.
- Accommodation of special diets.
- Travel or health insurance.
- Use of University of Calgary exercise and fitness facilities (available for $25).
- Optional evening activities (available for $15).
Summer II 2021
$275: Non-refundable application fee
$150: Refundable deposit*
*Students who attend a minimum of four weeks will have their deposit refunded
EXPLORE bursary recipients who are 18 years of age or older and have a high beginner to advanced level of English.
Note: The University of Calgary does not provide health insurance for EXPLORE students. Please ensure that you are covered by your home province’s health care program.
There were fun activities and really nice instructors. I was learning while having fun. They helped me to love studying.
Yahya from Quebec, Canada