Level 1 – 5
- Separate courses in Grammar, Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening
- Levels: high beginner to upper advanced in each skill area
- 12 weeks of instruction and assessment followed by a week of exams
- Enter the program in any session and combine semester programs
- Most students can expect to achieve an advanced level of English in 1 year (3 semesters + 1 intensive program of study)
Level 6: Academic Focus
The top level of our Semester Program focuses on the written and oral skills necessary for success in the English language post-secondary classroom. Students completing Level 6, with a minimum final grade of B+ in each course meet the English language proficiency requirement for:
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC)
- UCalgary Continuing Education International Professional Programs, see conted.ucalgary.ca/ipp
- Applicable Bow Valley Collage certificate and diploma programs
Proof of English language proficiency is not required to enter the Semester Program; students will be tested at the beginning of the program and then placed in the appropriate level.
Advanced placement into levels 5 and 6 of the Semester Program is available for students wishing to
guarantee their level placements. One of the following minimum scores are required for advanced placements:
- TOEFL iBT score of 45 overall, 15 in writing
- IELTS Academic score of 5.0 overall, 5 in writing, 4.5 in any other skill area
- CAEL score of 40 overall, 40 in writing
- Duolingo English Test score of 85 overall, 75 in production
- TOEFL iBT score of 55 overall, 18 in writing
- IELTS Academic score of 5.5 overall, 5.5 in writing, 5 in any other skill area
- CAEL score of 50 overall, 50 in writing
- Duolingo English Test score of 95 overall, 85 in production
In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, the student will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.
Price for 2022 sections
Face to face: $4,200
*Online course does not include emergency medical insurance, public transport pass or use of campus facilities such as recreational facilities.
Price for 2023 sections
Face to face: $4,325
Our tuition includes the following, and more...
Textbooks and handouts.
Public Transit Access
Public train and bus pass for courses 8 weeks or longer.*
* Coverage starts from May 1 for Spring terms.
Emergency health insurance for international students.
Organized social events for students.
Use of recreational facilities on campus.
Access to the campus library.
Wifi access on campus.
Access to campus computers.
Face to Face
Mon & Wed: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
1 – 3 p.m.
Tue & Thu: 9:10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
2 – 4 p.m.
Fri: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Live Zoom Sessions (Calgary Time)
Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 11:40am
Live session time could change. Please see our registration site for latest information.
Sample Timetable (Face to Face)
Your Gateway to University Life
Extend your general English communication, acquire academic English skills and prepare yourself for a successful start in a university undergraduate program.
It was an incredible experience from which I learned the language and met friends from different cultures.
Randa from Libya