- Separate courses in Grammar, Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening
- Six levels of classes from high beginner to upper advanced in each skill area (Availability may vary depend on the term)
- 12 weeks of instruction and assessment followed by a week of exams
- You may enter the program in any session and combine semester programs
- Most students can expect to achieve an advanced level of English in 1 year (3 semesters + 1 intensive program) of study
Level 6, the top level of our Semester Program departs from the broad communication goals of Level 1 – 5 and focuses on the written and oral skills necessary for success in the English language post-secondary classroom. Students completing Level 6 with a minimum final grade of B+ in each course are eligible for direct entry into the Academic Communication Certificate.
Proof of English language proficiency is not required to enter the Semester Program; students will be tested at the beginning of the program and then placed in the appropriate level.
Advanced placement into levels 5 and 6 of the Semester Program is available for students wishing to
guarantee their level placements. One of the following minimum scores are required for advanced placements:
- TOEFL iBT score of 40 overall, 13 in writing
- IELTS Academic score of 5.0 overall, 5 in writing, 4.5 in any other skill area
- CAEL score of 40 overall, 40 in writing
- Duolingo English Test score of 80
- TOEFL iBT score of 52 overall, 17 in writing
- IELTS Academic score of 5.5 overall, 5.5 in writing, 5 in any other skill area
- CAEL score of 50 overall, 50 in writing
- Duolingo English Test score of 95
In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, the student will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.
Face to face: $4,200
*Online course does not include emergency medical insurance, public transport pass or use of campus facilities such as recreational facilities.
Face to Face
Mon & Wed: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
1 – 3 p.m.
Tue & Thu: 9:10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
2 – 4 p.m.
Fri: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Live Zoom Sessions (Calgary Time)
Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 11:40am
For future terms, please see our registration site for live session time.
Sample Timetable (Face to Face)
Your Gateway to University Life
Extend your general English communication, acquire academic English skills and prepare yourself for a successful start in a university undergraduate program.
It was an incredible experience from which I learned the language and met friends from different cultures.
Randa from Libya
Optional Activity Programs
Improve your English skills and visit some of Western Canada’s top travel destinations while you are studying in the Semester Program. The activity program is made up of information meetings and guided excursions to points of cultural and social interest in and around Calgary. Students have the choice of registering for the full program or individual excursion components priced individually.